Thursday, November 26, 2009

Technology use as it relates to the Technology Appication Inventory and The SETDA Teacher Survey

I took a look at two evaluation tools that examined the level of technology use in my classroom. The results were extremely eye opening for me. The two tools that I reviewed were the Technology Applications Inventory, http://www.tea.state.tx.us/technology/techapp/assess/teksurv.pdf and The SETDA Teacher Survey found at http://www.setda-peti.org/tools.html . I found that I had a functioning knowledge of the basic use of technology but that I was not utilizing the technology to its full potential.

My discovery with the Technology Application Inventory was that I faired competent only in the area of Foundations. My results demonstrated that I understood more of the components of technology than not. In the areas of Information Acquisition, Solving Problems, and Communications I am lacking in use and understanding. My weakest link is Information Acquisition. I will look for ways to increase my understanding of this component of technology as it concerns LANs and WANs along with directories and various search engines.

In reference to The SETDA Teacher Survey, I discovered that I am not utilizing technology to the fullest when it comes to using data to determine if technology is impacting my student’s achievement. My grade level is not using technology equally across the subjects that we are teaching. We will need to reevaluate how we are implementing and using technology to assist our students in learning the core subject material. My students are not functioning in the 21st century when it comes to technology. I need to create opportunities to assist my students in becoming visually literate as well as literate in the areas of information, technology and global awareness.

As an educator I realize that it is one of my responsibilities to not only impart knowledge to my students but to enable them to teach themselves. This task will be a daunting one but can be achieved. I must look for ways to increase my student’s availability to technology. Most of my students fall under the classification of economically disadvantaged. Technology is not always available to my students outside of class. I am looking into ways that I could work with my colleagues in sharing the technology that we have on campus to utilize it to our student’s advantage.

I feel that the two technology pieces are great tools to catch a quick glimpse at how successful teachers are at implementing technology into the mainstream classroom. I agree with the outcome that resulted from my honest answers to the questions asked as they concern my use of technology. I am glad that I had the opportunity to see where I fall short in implementation and understanding of technology as it relates to student achievement and success.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I found your blog post in my Google Alerts for classroom technology. Great read. Your evaluation and observations are honest. That says a lot about you as a teacher. Please consider writing how you're enabling your students to teach themselves in future postings. I am also interested in what 21st century methods you plan to use for bringing them up to competitive grade levels. Someone once said to me that being classified economically disadvantaged doesn't mean lacking technology savvy. Looking forward to hearing more from you. @laroncarter

    ReplyDelete